Some of the names have been changed to protect the privacy of the persons concerned.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ch. 2 - The Flight Out of Libya (Post # 17)

March 28-29, 2011  Monday-Tuesday

Yesterday afternoon, I called up the embassy and inquired about my flight. The staff I talked to said that one batch left Saturday morning and she didn't know the schedule of the next one. I got irritated by the information because I knew that I was the fourth in the list. I called up Concon (Labat Mustapha is her uncle) and told her that I wasn't able to leave yet. Apparently, Con called up the embassy because a few minutes later, I got a call informing me that my departure date is on Thursday, March 31.

This Monday, I made sure that the recipients of the letters I prepared, received them. The first letter was delivered personally to the person's residence while the second was left in my flat together with the gifts I had prepared for Kiko's family and Terese last March 25. I had a hurried visit to my flat to get another jacket and bag (to replace the ones I have in Dr. Naj's house) aside from the business of leaving Bok's letter.

On Tuesday, I received another call from the embassy. I was instructed to put my laptop in my check -in baggage because checkpoint  guards do not search it anymore. He also said that the convoy would leave at exactly 9:00 AM so I should be there at about 7:00 AM. I decided to go to the embassy Wednesday evening, just to make sure that I won't be late.

In the evening, Karen gave me a set of silk pajama and YSL perfume while Princess gave me facial tissues and a box of wet wipes. I placed my all important USB (where I saved my journal, I deleted them in my laptop in case it gets confiscated) in the jacket I intended to wear. I tried carrying my luggage and walking with them to see if I'd be able to do the one kilometer walk with the load. Sleep seemed so distant so I prayed the rosary...I prayed for my safe journey, for the health and safety of Kiko's family and of all my friends and colleagues whom I am going to leave behind. I prayed for the survival of my family, knowing that I didn't have enough money to sustain months of not having an adequate income, just in case I wouldn't be able to go back to Libya at once. God... I lift these all up to you.

REACTION/S:

No comments:

Post a Comment