Some of the names have been changed to protect the privacy of the persons concerned.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chapter 1 - Libya's Awakening . . . (Post # 13)

March 17-18, 2011 Thursday/Friday


I went to the College on Thursday. Some students were there to inquire about the schedule of classes. I was not in a social mood so I avoided talking to them. In the office of the English Department, my colleagues asked about my bruises and black eye, I narrated to them my checkpoint experience in Khoums. They were surprised to find out that I could still go outside Tripoli to visit friends under the prevailing situation. Dr. Shabous told me that we would have regular classes on Sunday, March 20. I saw Fatima, a Libyan colleague, at the office, exchanged hugs and kisses, and expressed how much we missed each other.She told me that I could stay with her family if I wanted to. She also mentioned that my students had been looking for me and were interested to know if I was safe. Some of them even offered to provide me shelter in the safety of their own homes. I met a Physics professor at the lobby. I knew him to be a Khadaffi loyalist and he engaged me in a conversation. He said that the rebellion was initiated by the US; that the uprising in Egypt and Tunisia were CIA-operated. According to him, "US was very much interested with the Libyan oil so it clipped our wings (referring to Egypt and Tunisia) to put pressure to our country."


Later in the afternoon, I looked for an electric stove. Before the unrest, a single burner electric stove cost 10 dinar and there were a lot of them just accumulating dust in kitchenware shops. Today I couldn't find one in the many shops at Souq Jomaa. One shop owner told me to go back on the next day. When I went back, a second-hand stove was offered to me, one which looked really old. How much did it cost? It was a whopping 80 dinar. Due to the crisis in gas, I had to buy it.


I attended the Friday mass and was very happy that more people were already attending the celebration. Fr. Allan called up in the evening asking if I knew an English lecturer named Noel. He said that someone informed him that he was missing for more than a week already. I told him that Noel was my batchmate and described him physically. He recalled that he had met the guy at the embassy while the latter was coordinating for the repatriation of some lecturers. I mentioned Concon's suggestion to request the owner of the school building where the car was found ( the car which was entrusted to Noel), to open the rooms because Noel could be there hurt by some bad elements. I also told Fr. Allan that I'd be going to the Turkish Airline to inquire if he bought a plane ticket there. I informed him about a lead that Noel called someone from the said airline office. Fr. Allan said that all actions should be coursed through the embassy. The embassy should first be informed about it then, its staff should be the one to coordinate with all concerned persons and offices. I told him about Noel's joke of taking a vacation in Cyprus. He said that if ever he did that, it would be irresponsible of him not to tell anyone about his whereabouts considering Libya's condition these days.


March 20, 2011  Sunday


Today was the first day of the United Nations' intervention. The "No Fly Zone Resolution" by the UN was now strictly enforced to protect civilian lives. This would prevent regime forces from bombing rebels and civilians using Libyan war planes. By this time, people in Libya were already used to the sound of gunfire, machine guns and armalites in the middle of the night but this time it was a lot louder. It lasted for 15-20 minutes and then, silence followed. I sat erect on my bed trying to figure out the meaning of it all. As I sat,enveloped with darkness, a realization dawned on me . . . silence found its meaning . . . I'm going to write  again. Thus after a long long time, the Skylark began singing her songs again.

No comments:

Post a Comment